Sponsorship Evaluation: Specialist methodology is essential
- Sponsorship is a dynamic three-way relationship –it works through harnessing the emotional connection between a property and its audience and converting this into a desired response for a sponsor
- Interactions between sponsor, property and consumer all impact sponsorship effectiveness and ROI
- Sponsorship evaluation must provide emotional connection metrics across properties in addition to desired brand KPIs
- Traditional methods of measuring sponsorship treat sponsorship as another form of advertising
- MDI’s SponsorMaptool goes beyond the basic measures of awareness and brand association to include: 1. Unique emotional response questions 2. Emotional connectivity and involvement between property and consumer 3. Sponsor fit with the property 4. Consumers’ level of sponsor appreciation
SponsorMap™ involves 5 key areas of measurement
Sponsor / Brand Awareness
Attention measurement includes basic awareness of a sponsor’s involvement, including logo exposure and media measurement for major events or broadcast sponsorship.
Understanding is the extent to which consumers can actually recall the involvement of a sponsor. This is assessed in terms of top of mind, spontaneous (unprompted) and prompted recall.
Sponsor / Brand / Preference / Engagement
The PassionIndex™ is designed to measure the emotional connectivity or involvement between a property and a consumer. It’s based on a unique emotional response scale designed to measure emotions. The scale works by classifying consumers into various groups based on their level of passion towards individual properties. The Passion segments are Fanatic, Great Fan, Spectator, Passive Enthusiast, Disinterested, Unaware of Property.
Sponsor / Brand Connection
The GratitudeIndex™ is based on a unique emotional response scale designed to measure sponsor appreciation. It recognises that customer responses to sponsorship is often enhanced if the sponsorship is perceived to offer additional value to a customer. Based on several core questions, the scale is specific to SponsorMap™ and is also influenced by what is known as Balance Theory. The Gratitude segments are Delighted, Very Thankful, Appreciative, Ambivalent, No Gratitude, Unaware of Sponsor.
SponsorMap™ Brand Shift Index
At a minimum, this research component involves exploration of the impact of a sponsorship based on the sponsor’s main brand health metrics, potentially including:
- Brand Consideration
- Brand Preference
- Brand Promotion
- Brand Image
- Exploration of brand impact based on sponsorship segments
- Identifying ‘passionates’
- Sponsor fit.